PHONICS AND READING
Learning to read is the most important thing your child will learn at our school. Everything else depends on it, so we put as much energy as we possibly can into making sure that every single child learns to read as quickly as possible. We want your child to love reading – and to want to read for themselves. This is why we put our efforts into making sure they develop a love of books as well as simply learning to read.
At Vauxhall Primary School we use a reading programme called Read Write Inc. Read Write Inc is our very successful Reading programme that enables every child to become a confident and fluent reader at the first attempt. It aims to teach all children to read fluently and confidently.
In Nursery all children will…
- Play games based on Letters and Sounds Phase 1
- Learn the first 30 sounds in short daily sessions.
In Reception all children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- Take home Phonics storybooks to share weekly
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner.
In Year 1 and Year 2 all children….
- Continue with all of the above activities.
- Become accurate and speedy readers. The aim is for all children to have completed the Read Write Inc programme by the end of Autumn Term in Year 2.
- Children who are not making expected progress are given One-to-One tutoring with a highly trained adult.
In Year 3 to Year 6 all children....
- have a timetabled guided reading lesson each day, consisting of a carousel of activities or a whole-class text focused activity.
- who require extra support may be allocated a reading volunteer for a one-to-one reading session each week, working towards regularly updated targets.
- who require additional Phonics tuition will receive daily sessions with a Read Write Inc. trained member of staff.
- have access a themed Reading Corner in their classroom, as well as access to a well-stocked school library.
The following websites and games can be used to help your child practise the skills they need for reading.
Primary Homework Help Literacy Zone A huge range of reading and spelling activities
ICT games Practise sounding out words high frequency words.
Phonics Play A range of phonics games by phonics phase.
Pop Deck Pirates Phases 3 & 4 Range of games for reading words and stories.
Words and Pictures - BBC Useful resource to support phonics.
Family Learning Phonics A range of phonic games to play at home.
Starfall Reading KS1 On-line books useful to teach reading at KS1. (U.S. pronunciation)
CGP Books on-line Phases 5 & 6 On-line games to test spelling rules.