A very big thank you to all the parents who attended the Reading Workshop this morning. Your attendance shows your commitment to supporting your child in learning to read.
We will be doing a PRACTICAL WORKSHOP: READ WRITE INC in ACTION on Tuesday 8th October 2013 at 9:05am. Come and see how your child is learning how to read.
TOP TIPS FOR HELPING YOUR CHILD AT HOME
What can I do at home with my child ?
- 1. Read with your child EVERY day, even if it is only for 5 minutes.
- 2. Create a quiet, special place in your home for your child to read. Keep books and other reading materials where your child can easily reach them.
- 3. Help your child see that reading is important. Set a good example for your child by reading books, newspapers and magazines.
- 4. Limit the amount and type of television you and your child watch. Better yet, turn off the television and spend more time cuddling and reading books with your child.
- 5. Make reading a part of your everyday life – signs and print in the world around us.
- 6. Encourage your child to read by showing an interest in what they are reading and what they have to say. Discuss the book your child is reading with them.
- 7. PRAISE your child for their reading and celebrate their reading successes.
- 8. Practice phonics that are sent home daily.
Useful WEBSITES to help you help your child with their reading: